These Oaty Caramel Squares are MAGIC! They’re a cross between a (chocolate) flapjack and a caramel square .. with homemade caramel … so delicious!
OATY CARAMEL SQUARES
Course: Desserts Difficulty: Easy
For the caramel:
- 75g caster sugar
- 120g butter
- 400g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
For the chocolate flapjacks:
- 150g wholemeal or plain flour
- 250g porridge oats
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 200g butter
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate topping:
- 200g dark chocolate (70%)
- Sea salt flakes
To make the caramel:
- Gently melt the sugar, butter, condensed milk and maple syrup on a medium heat in a medium saucepan (do this slowly as the mix can burn very easily if the heat is too high!).
- Using a whisk to stir vigorously, increase the heat to just below boiling, then fast simmer stirring for about 15 minutes while the sauce changes colour and starts to thicken (use a wooden spoon to scrape around the inside edges of the pan to avoid the mixture sticking to the base of the pan, it’s a nightmare to clean if this happens, believe me!).
- Remove it regularly from the heat if it starts to spit as you stir – you’ll need to stand over the pan and keep stirring until it reaches a deep caramel colour (or has an amber hue).
For the flapjacks:
- Preheat fan oven to 180°C and line a square (20cm x 20cm) baking tin with parchment paper.
- Combine the oats, flour, cocoa powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Stir without allowing the mixture to boil. Once the sugar is fully dissolved and blended with the butter and you have a smooth consistency, stir in the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot butter mixture over the dry ingredients until they are evenly coated.
- Transfer two thirds of the oat mixture into the lined baking tin and use the back of a spoon to pack the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Next, spread the caramel in an even layer over the surface of the oat mix.
- Then cover the caramel evenly with the remaining oat mixture and bake for 30 minutes (if the edges start to burn, reduce the oven temperature slightly).
- Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool fully, before adding the chocolate topping.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave and pour evenly over the top of the Oaty Caramel Squares, sprinkle with sea salt flakes and place in the fridge to set for at least 1-2 hours.